Student Community

View Only
  • 1.  NCODA Mentorship Program "Virtual Book Club" 2023-2024

Posted 11-03-2023 10:59

Hello all,

Exciting news, the NCODA Mentorship Program has launched a "Virtual Book Club." Please refer to this list for recommended readings for personal and career development. Feel free to add to the list any books, articles, videos, documentaries, and/or podcasts you find relevant to topics in self-improvement, leadership, oncology, mentorship/precepting and/or any topics you feel are relevant to our program.

Here is the link to our list: NCODA Mentorship Program Virtual "Book Club"

Please use this thread as a discussion board for anything you would like to discuss about the items on the list you may have read. Thank you for being a part of this new venture!

------------------------------
    Zara Imtiaz, PharmD
    Other
    Touro College of Pharmacy
    Astoria NY

• 2.  RE: NCODA Mentorship Program "Virtual Book Club" 2023-2024

Posted 02-09-2024 11:24

Hi Zara, 
    As part of the NCODA APPE rotation, I enjoyed the Friday book club discussion!
    The current book we are reading is Five Stars: The Communication Secrets to Get from Good to Great by Carmine Gallo.

Upon finishing this book, one of the chapters (Chapter 16: Conquer the Fear that Holds You Back) resonated with me since sometimes I get anxious about public speaking. The chapter does a great job of providing solutions and examples, such as using the term " reappraisal and rehearsal." 
    I believe rehearsing a speech or presentation beforehand can help reduce anxiety, and as for reappraisal, "changing the channel" to help with what went right during the rehearsal.

Leen Alyaseen
    Pharmacy
    Texas A&M School of Pharmacy
    Houston Tx